twitter




Sunday, October 25, 2009

I have a lump in my breast and schuled for a breast aspiration..I am sick about the whole thing but scared to?

I am scared so terribly of the needle going in my breast...they said this is probably nothing is that true? Any one been through this?
Answer:
Friend, don't be worried too much now! It's possible not to be cancer.You should learn more knowlege about breast disease and cancer.
"There are a variety of breast diseases, ranging from infections to excessive cell growth (neoplasms). Unfortunately, many breast diseases mimic the symptoms of cancer and therefore require tests and possibly surgical biopsy to obtain an accurate diagnosis. The majority of biopsies are found to be benign (non-cancerous) forms of breast disease. While most breast diseases are not dangerous in themselves, they may increase the risk of developing breast cancer. Hyperplasia, cysts, fibroadenomas, and calcifications are the common benign breast diseases.
Calcifications
Calcifications are randomly scattered residues of calcium that in older women may have left the bones to appear in other parts of the body, such as the joints or breasts. Microcalcifications are small, tight clusters of tiny calcifications in the ducts that can be seen on a mammogram and may indicate a precancerous or cancerous condition.
Cysts
Cysts are sacs filled with fluid; they are almost always benign. Although most are too small to feel, approximately a third of women between the ages of 35-50 have cysts in their breasts. If large enough, cysts may feel like lumps in the breast. Normally, cysts are left untreated. However, if a cyst becomes painful, it can be aspirated or drained of its fluid. Some women may prefer to have a cyst removed if, after being aspirated repeatedly, it continues to recur.Cysts are not associated with an increased risk of cancer; yet, they are more common in women as they approach menopause and occur much less frequently after menopause (Donegan 1995). What causes cysts to develop is unknown; however, certain dietary factors, such as the intake of caffeine have been proposed as possible risk factors for the development of breast cysts.
Fibroadenomas
Fibroadenomas are a type of benign lump most commonly found in younger women. They are usually not removed since they pose no risk. If a fibroadenoma is large, uncomfortable, and produces a lump, it may be removed. In older women, fibroadenomas are generally removed to ensure that they are not malignant tumors. Fibroadenomas do not pose an increased risk of cancer.
Hyperplasia
Hyperplasia is not a precancerous condition. It is the excessive accumulation or proliferation of normal cells typically found on the inside of the lobules or the ducts in the breast tissue. Hyperplasia is associated with approximately a two-fold risk of breast cancer.
Atypical Hyperplasia
Atypical hyperplasia occurs when excess cells in the lobules or ducts are abnormal. This condition falls between hyperplasia (too many normal cells) and carcinoma in situ (too many abnormal cells). However, atypical hyperplasia is associated with an approximately 3.5-5 times increased risk of developing breast cancer (Page et al. 1985; Colditz 1993; Marshall et al. 1997).
Ductal carcinoma is usually formed from ductal epithelial cells. This malignant tumor may be noninvasive (contained) or invasive (may involve the underlying muscles, skin, and lymphatics). The first sign is often a painless or tender lump. "
(source:http://www.smile.org.au/cancers/breast%2...Suggest you visit the website "www.smile.org.au" by yourself. There are some valuable information there.
I think it's cancer
if you can see it on the outside, and the docs say it's probably nothing, don't sweat ti too much. you'll be fine, just probably a bit sore after
I have been through it a number of times. I don't ever remember it being painful at all. It is most likely just a cyst. They just remove the fluid that has collected and it is all over with and it feels so much better after it is finished.
Hi there! Please relax. I had the same thing done a few years ago. Thank God, benign. I understand they usually are. Now I have to get a mamo every year.
How the dr. did mine-he had me go to an unltra sound tech at a women's center near the surgery building, got a samll needle to numb my breast, the needle with a hook to show the dr. where the lump was - was inserted (you might feel a little pressure-no pain) (and don't look if you don't like needles). It was taped into place, then I went to the surgery bldg., and got into a gown, went into the prep room, got an iv, then walked into the surgergical room (it's cold in there!) and then they got everything all set up-a drape was placed over my head to not see anything, got to listen to music, and talk with the dr. and the nurses while the biopsy was being done. I was thankfully doing well enough, I went into recovery, level 2 so I got some pop and something to eat, and was told before I got dressed to leave it was benign!
It depends, though, on the dr. and how they do this procedure. I had a friend who had it done with ultrasound,m wasn't numbed, and they inserted the needle on the side of her breast (where there was a lump) and it hurt her some. So, please ask your dr. how it will be done, and all the details to help you be prepared.
You will do fine. Take care.
yes love i have been there and done that. like you, i was scared to death. they scheduled me for surgery to go in and take a look at the lump (it was very small almost marble size to the touch). they made the incision(cut) around the dark part of the nipple(no visible scar) and he said when he touched the thing it burst. done deal...i pray this information helps to calm you. if they say it's probably nothing they're probably right. they were in my case.
Do not worry, 90% of these are cysts. I like you have been through it. Had a bath one night, did my self exam, ran screaming from the bath woke my Mother up and said 'I have a lump!' Mother replied 'You will need to see the GP in the morning, go to bed!' Mother used to be a Nurse! I saw the GP, he telephoned the Hospital, within half an hour I was in with the SURGEON! Bet you I was SCARED! I mean a SURGEON! Anyway he examined me and then said 'I am going to stick this in and see if I get anything out!' So he did stick it in and he got a lot out! He then said 'I am not even going to bother testing it, a cyst, you can go now!' That was it. Unfortunately it came back and this time he decided to operate. He removed a 'cluster' of cysts, sent them away, they were benign and that was it. Outside of the fact I went from 34D to 34A, I was relived. I know the panic, I know the fear, but mark my words you will be wonder what all the panic was about. Good Luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net