twitter




Sunday, October 25, 2009

I have a friend with breast cancer. My question is what are the side effects of Chemo and how do they differ..

from Radiation therapy? She is having both and I just want to know what is coming so I can help out as much as possible.
Answer:
I just finished up chemo for breast cancer (stage II) 3 weeks ago and will be starting radiation soon. There are hundreds of different meds they can use for chemo., and all have different side effects and effect each person differently. There was a lady who I talked to constantly that was on one of the same meds I was and she was violently ill from it. On the other hand, I never got sick from it. The first few days after my first treatment I was so tired I could not keep my eyes open. Hubby would wake me long enough to eat (I had no appetite) and I would go right back to sleep. About 2 weeks after my first treatment my hair started coming out so we got out the electric clippers and my hubby and kids took turns shaving my hair really short. Within a week, I was down to just little tufts of hair here and there. I never did go totally bald. My advice to you, is take your friends lead. If she feels bad, offer to help her around the house, do errands for her so she doesn't need to run out. Sit with her at doctor appointments. There were so many people in my oncologists office who were there alone. I was blessed to always have someone with me. If she's feeling good (yes it DOES happen!! LOL) make the most of it. Go out and take advantage of every moment. Spend time with her and let her know you are there with her every step of the way. Don't treat her like she's sick. Treat her like you always do. The thing I hated most was people coming up and talking to me like I was a wounded animal or something when I felt perfectly fine. :PTake her to one of the American Cancer Society offices. The people there are wonderful. I had no idea how easy it would be to deal with them. I went into their office and they started trying wigs on me and even asked if I wanted a hat. Everything was free of charge which was wonderful considering the prices of wigs. I was very stressed about that! Also, if she does lose all her hair, you might want to look for a little lightweight hat or cap, etc for her to wear around the house. My daughter did not want to see my "Big bald head" as she called it so my aunt sent me a cloth surgeons hat. It was the most comfy thing and I slept wearing it almost every night.
Good luck to you and to your friend. If you are already on here asking how to help her out, I'm sure she's going to do just fine with all that love and support.
You can expect her to be sleepy, lack energy, nauseated, and vomit regularly, lose hair, have sleep disruptions, feel depressed and basically miserable. It isnt an easy thing to go through. I went through it with my Aunty and helped her by using the resources at the hospital/ cancer center to get her a wig to wear in public outting, they also do free make up etc...to boost the ladies spirits. Around her home, I did house work, cooked meals and had more on hand in the freezer should she need them. Do not talk about dying, talk about living.
I also had cancer when I was only 12 years old, right now I am 15 years old. I took chemo. Some signs are losing hair, eye brows, eye lashes, and any other hair. Not all your hair falls out!! I still had some. Some go completely bold, while some never even loses one piece of hair. some times it will grow back in a different color and style. Mine did!! I was Blond and had Straight hair.But when my hair came back it was Brown and Curly. Right now I am in remission( cancer free) Chemo you need to have surgeries to get a port. that is what the chemo goes through.
Sometimes Radiation can stop your growth plates so if she is young or needs to grow a whole lot more she shouldn't have radiation If she does lose her hair Don't be ashamend of it. Make sure she puts sun lotion on her head, even if she has some little hair left. Write a letter to locks of love. They would try to give you a wig if you have a medicale problem that makes you lose yoor hair. I got one put I never Whore it and after you have your hair grown back you can keep the wig.One way to find more information is going to ask.com.
Then type cancer websites
More down to breast cancer website review
or you could ask a local doctor .

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net